Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Skirting the Issue

I have a small, free-standing island in my kitchen.  It's a handy place to store bulkier items.  After awhile, it also became a collection site for items on their way to the recycling bin in the garage.  I got really tired of both making endless trips to the garage for a few items here and there, and for seeing the top of the island cluttered with empty milk cartons and unwanted junk mail.  So I decided that my island needed to be dressed up a bit and made a skirt.


I made the skirt out of burlap.  I hemmed one edge and gathered the top.  Then I stitched on black grosgrain ribbon to hide the gathers.


I left an opening on one side.  This is the best part:  I have a recycling bin hidden underneath, and can easily access it through here!



I now only have to take the recycling out once or twice a week, and I don't have to look at it!  I can also continue to store bulky items on the other side, leaving the top clutter-free.

To attach the skirt, I sewed velcro on at evenly spaced intervals, and stuck corresponding pieces on the island, just under the top.  If I ever want to remove the skirt, the velcro can be removed and the island will be free of any offending nail or staple holes.

Here are pictures of the unadorned island after I first moved into my house.



And the fabulous after picture!


I've had the skirt on the island for over a year, and it's made a world of difference.  Now maybe I'll get around to acting on thoughts of painting my kitchen cabinets white!

Cheers!
Jenn



5 comments:

  1. A lovely improvement to the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy and so nice looking. Burlap has a weight to it that helps it hang nicely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'm off to buy burlap! I would love for you to link up to "It's a Party"!
    www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific idea! I love the way it looks, and it's so useful, too! Love the ribbon detailing! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party, and would love for you to link this post up.

    ReplyDelete